Nepali Telecom operators added a significant mobile subscribers in the last FY 2075/76, with Ntc adding the highest number of new subscribers. According to the NTA report, a total no of 30 lakhs (3 million) mobile subscribers was added in the last FY. Whereas the Ashad end last year showed the no of mobile subscribers to be 3 crores 75 lakhs (37.5 million). The total number of mobile users in Ashad 2076 reached 4 crores and 6 lakhs (40.6 million).
As two of the telecom operators report were not included in the latest NTA report, we have omitted their subscriber number as a whole. Those two telecom operators are UTL and Nepal Satellite whose mobile network are not operational. Recently Supreme Court has also approved the NTA’s decision to scrap the Nepal Satellite Mobile License.
The total telecom subscribers base in Nepal at the end of Ashad 2076 reached 4 crore and 13 lakhs (41.3 million) now. That means only 7 to 8 lakhs users are non-mobile which includes PSTN, WLL, VSAT and GMPCS. While no of mobile users went up, the fixed-line telephone like the PSTN and WLL services were found to decline. It is only due to people’s preference for mobile instead of Landline phones.
Nepal Telecom led the mobile subscriber rise with the addition of 27 lakhs (2.7 million) new customers in the last Fiscal year. Ncell followed Ntc growth with the addition of 1 lakh and 23 thousand (0.1 million) customers only. Similarly, Smart Telecom saw an addition of 2 lakh customers (0.2 million) in that period.
Among the six telecom operators, only three have significant market share. While UTL, Nepal Satellite Telecom, and CG Telecom are there for namesake only. After the scrapping of the mobile license of Nepal Satellite Telecom (Hello Mobile), the total number of telecom operator will be only 5.
The total teledensity shoots up from 133.83% to 140.25% in that period, of course, the major contributor being GSM mobile technology/service.
Regarding the broadband penetration, it went up from 51.1 % to 65.87 %, in which mobile broadband contributes around 85% of the total broadband users.
Reason for mobile subscriber increase
- Preference for mobile services over the fixed phone.
- Young Population always on the rise
- Professionals use mobile and data services to work on the go.
- People need to connect with their family/friends/relatives abroad.
No of 4G users had also gone up by around 20 lakhs to reach the 40 lakhs (4 million) mark. We can expect this number to go even higher in this year 2076 due to the expansion of 4G to more areas by Ntc, Ncell and not forgetting Smart Telecom. Here are the things you should consider while buying a 4G phone in Nepal.
Despite the increase in the telecom subscribers, the revenue from those users has declined for both the telecom operators.
Let us know what do you think of the mobile subscriber increase in the last fiscal year, comment below.
- Redmi 13C with 90Hz Display & 50MP Triple Camera Launched
- Ncell Lists “Facts” Regarding The Axiata-Spectrlite UK Deal
- Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra: Leaks, rumors, images, specs, and all we know so far
- Daraz Shopping Milestone: 4.70 Lakh Customers Served In A Single Day During 11.11 Sale, 75% Enjoyed Free Delivery
- Spectrlite UK Buys Axiata’s Ncell Shares for $50 Million
- Mero Job App Revamped: Your Next Job Is Just a Few Taps Away
- Axiata to exit from Ncell, puts 80% shares up for sale