Google has already announced optimized Operating system (OS) for low end devices, specially designed for developing countries. Android Go, the lighter version of Android Oreo suits the very low specs devices to run it smoothly with optimized apps and play store. It is known that first range of such Android Go phones are going to be launched in India.
As taken from Multiple sources, Google could have partnered with Indian phone vendors to launch the Android Go phones. It could start as early as from January, 2018. Companies like Micromax, Intex, Lava, Karbonn and more are going to launch the phones in very affordable price. Although there are 2 billion Android phones in the world, Google focuses on such OS to get 2 billion more devices.
Among them, Micromax may launch an Android Go smartphone at around $ 31 (which is around 2000 Indian currency or 3100 Nepali rupees). This could change the whole ecosystem of affordable smartphones. This could also give a big opportunity for these once hailed companies to rise again. Currently Chinese vendors like Xiaomi, Vivo, Oppo have a dominant market presence in India for smartphones.
Features of Android Go phones
The Android Go OS targets to phones with memory less than 1 GB. There are also go version of their popular apps like Google search app, Maps, Youtube Go, Assistant and more. Android Go seems to be more lighter than Android One project which was also originally targeted for this sort.
The apps also tend to have less size, takes much less memory and processing capability suitable for low memory, low storage and relatively low end processors. Such phone will even have access to lightweight version of play store for directing to such optimized apps. As the internet connectivity in developing countries is not of high speed everywhere, it will be beneficial to download the small sized apps with near the same features from slow connection. The default data saving feature will also help them to reduce the data consumption. Gradually they will add more features to suit developing world.
As people cannot afford the high price of smartphones in developing country, there are still huge percentage of people with feature phones. This Android Go project will help to make the smartphones affordable and increase the smartphone penetration. The performance of the current low end cheap hardware will also boost, making it people to accept such phones. We think it will also suit other devices like wearable, controllers etc to increase their performance.
- Saving space using Small size apps.
More storage out of the box: Using pre-installed and lighter apps, you will get more storage. Heance the problem of storage fill up is solved.
- Small sized new apps and update:
- Files Go: A new app from Google, to help you quickly find files and get rid of any unwanted content like bad selfies and accidental photos.
- Data Saver and Peer to peer sharing.
- Security as same of high end phones.
Apart from Indian handset companies, Google may even partner with other hardware companies from China for such Android Go phones.
Android Go phones in Nepal
Nepal being a typical developing country, is also an ideal market for such Android Go phones. As the Indian and Chinese companies have good foothold in Nepal, they will definitely bring such phones here. What we expect is the use of such project with our own local phone brands like CG, Otto etc. May all responsible person work ahead to make it happen. Which is good for their business and also for the people.
- Nepal Telecom to provide 30 days free internet trial service via fiber for voice users
- realme C53 New 6/128GB Variant Launched in Nepal | Price, Specs
- Redmi 13C with 90Hz Display & 50MP Triple Camera Launched
- Ncell Lists “Facts” Regarding The Axiata-Spectrlite UK Deal
- Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra: Leaks, rumors, images, specs, and all we know so far
- Daraz Shopping Milestone: 4.70 Lakh Customers Served In A Single Day During 11.11 Sale, 75% Enjoyed Free Delivery
- Spectrlite UK Buys Axiata’s Ncell Shares for $50 Million