It’s been years since the start of the privatization of State-owned Telecom operator Nepal Telecom. Similarly, the process for Government to sell certain shares to international telecom giants has also started. Which is a term that people call it Strategic Partner.
It seems like NT management, Senior Government officials, and even Political rulers are now convinced to bring the strategic partner in Nepal Telecom. They believe that such a partnership will help the company to compete well enough with private telcos with instant decision making and fast rollout of projects.
The government had already decided to divest at least 26 percent share to foreign partners as suggested by a high-level task force in 2010. That time the decision could not take into effect due to a lack of political consensus and competent enough committees for action. Later, a key decision has been taken to divest 30% share to international partner which has strategic importance.
Though there were several committees formed to study and make a proposal for inviting strategic partners for the state-owned telecom operators, the newest technical one has just prepared the draft of the bidding document. It is also known that the final document for bidding will be submitted within the stipulated time of the committee.
With the increased competition due to the aggressiveness of network expansion and fast decision-making by Ncell, concerned authorities are of the view to inviting foreign partner in NT to stop going the other government-owned corporation way.
Also, there is an equal recommendation by NT officials to amend Public Procurement Act for the state-owned telecom company to compete with private companies, which according to them is a major hurdle to bring new projects in time.
Tell us what do you think of divesting some shares of Nepal Telecom to an international giant as a strategic partner? Will it be realized in the near future while the concept had been shelved for years. Do put your views about the Ntc strategic partner issue here.
- Case Filed Against NTC MD, Government Secretary in National Payment Gateway Corruption
- realme C51 With 33W SUPERVOOC Charge Launching Soon in Nepal
- Classic Tech Dashain Tihar Offer 2080: Internet and Smart TVs at an Unmatched Price, Free 5G Router
- iPhone 15 overheating is due to third-party app updates and a bug in iOS 17, not the titanium design- Apple
- Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max ranks second in DxOMark camera test
- Smartphone market low ahead of Dashain, no effect of holiday season!
- CG Net brings Dashain Offer 2080, 3x internet speed, cashback, discount on CG Smart TV