Nepal Telecom, the pioneering telecom operator has started the migration of traditional TDM landline phones to new technology. The old landline phones that are in service from a long time in Ntc, will be now based in IP. They have started the migration of the old telephony to IP based, from Gwarko exchange.
Ntc is the sole provider of Landline phones in Nepal. It has been 25 years that the first digital telephony started in Nepal. The last significant technological upgrade in landline telephony was the addition of ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line ) for high speed internet.
On Friday, Ntc’s Board Chairman and Secretary, Ministry of Information and Communication (MOIC) Mr. Mahendra Man Gurung inaugurated the TDM migration of the PSTN phones, by making a call in Gwarko Exchange. In the program, he also asked to focus on the similar kind of technological upgrade for more advanced and customer centric services.
With the successful TDM migration, Ntc now connects 242 number of old TDM based landline phones with new exchange based in IP telephony. The customers connected from the exchange, will get improved an new services.
What are the additional services with Ntc TDM migration
After the implementation of Ntc TDM migration, Ntc mentions of the following.
- The voice and data service of the upgraded landline phones will significantly improve.
- Several new services like IPTV, Video on demand will add with the new upgraded phone.
- The demand for ADSL ports for high speed internet can be fulfilled as per customers demand.
But there are plethora of other services that Ntc can bring up like video call, SMS and more with the IP telephony.
Ntc TDM migration plan
After the TDM migration in Gwarko Exchange, Ntc plans to upgrade 1 lakh and 34 thousand landline phones to IP based telephony. They have also planned to migrate 4 lakhs landline phones to the new technology. So, all the remaining phones will gradually migrate within few years period. There are altogether 7 lakh PSTN lines/ subscribers in the country.
- Internet price war is a risk to ISPs’ investment- NTA Chair Bhandari
- MediaTek Helio G91 launched for budget smartphones
- Ncell, e& international to deliver superior digital services
- Vianet wins ‘Broadband Telecom Company of the Year’ in the Asian Telecom Awards 2024
- eSewa launches cross-border payment enabling Indian citizens to pay in Nepal: Find steps
- Khalti QR lets Indian tourists make payments in Nepal, How?
- Xiaomi 14 Launching Soon in Nepal | Find Price and Specs