Telecom regulator NTA will closely monitor social media activities during the silence period preceding the local polls. The Election Commission, responsible to conduct the polls has directed the telecom authority to act on promotions during the last few pre-election days.
This means activities pertaining to election campaigns will come under heavy scrutiny by the telecom authority.
The so-called ‘Silence Period’ begins at midnight on Baisakh 27 Tuesday before the polls on Baisakh 30. And preparations for the election day proceed at full pace. Every political party and candidate has also completed their publicity.
But still candidates, their supporters, and well-wishers could engage in the promotions in a last-ditch effort to lure in more votes. for their campaigns via various social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, etc. Citing the possibility of sponsored posts, the Election Commission has called on NTA to regulate users’ behavior on various social media. Also read: Creative Voice Begins, Send Voice Messages in Bulk
Social media in focus for elections
Recently, various morphed images appeared on social media aiming to favor one candidate while poking fun at rivals. This drew the Commission’s attention as it stepped up efforts to control such immoral practices on the internet.
Now, the election body has called on NTA to request candidates, and their legions not to post such images, and posts. Likewise, “Nta will make necessary provisions and act against such posts”, Shaligram Sharma Poudel, Spokesman of the Election Commission said.
Similarly, the election commission has requested service providers not to promote election campaigns with bulk messages.
During the silence period, all the promotional campaigns need to halt. Likewise, candidates and their supporters must refrain from asking for votes through social media. Persuading voters, or publishing content against any candidates will also be offensive against the election protocols during the silence period.
How do you see NTA monitoring social media during the silence period prior to the polls?
- Ncell Users Can Now Contact Hello Sarkar For Free, service now operational 24-hours
- “Dumb phones” make a comeback as people are sick of smartphones
- The government fixes the cost for the basic TV package in Nepal, 8 channel bouquet lists
- Apple strictly warns users not to sleep alongside their iPhones while they are charging
- Huawei Mate 60 Pro Launched Officially | Find Price and Specs
- Xiaomi smartphone shipments fell by 15.8% while revenue also declined in Q2, 2023
- Xiaomi Brings “Sure-Shot September Mela” | Win Gifts on Purchase of Redmi Smartphones