Nepal Rastra Bank (NRB) has approved a provision to make international payments via dollar cards. The commercial banks of Nepal can now issue dollar prepaid cards to their customers. Find the details and how to get the dollar card from banks in Nepal.
At first, Nabil Bank and NMB Bank had distributed the dollar card. Now almost all commercials banks provide the card after following some process. Also, these dollar cards can be used to make payments across the globe legally. This will surely encourage startups to grow more and use efficient tools.
In Nepal, people had to use foreign cards to buy foreign goods and services. It was difficult for Nepali customers to make international transactions from Nepal. But now, Nepalese can pay for Google apps, developer accounts, Netflix, eBay, Amazon Prime, Spotify, AWS, and several foreign online services using the dollar prepaid card.
Table of contents
Conditions to issue prepaid dollar cards
The lack of international payment systems in Nepal can refrain you from purchasing goods, tools, and efficient services outside of Nepal. As a result, you need foreign cards to purchase such items digitally from a foreign land.
But now, the barrier is off. You can directly purchase international services, goods from within Nepal. For that, you would need a prepaid dollar card issued by a domestic bank.
The bank should have authorization from Nepal Rastra Bank to issue the prepaid card. Similarly, the bank can issue a prepaid card of only USD 500 in a year. It means you will have a validity period of 1 year to spend $500 on purchasing foreign services and goods.
There is also a provision to transfer up to $5000 to the card if you also earn from your online business. In case the amount of prepaid card exceeds $5,000, the customer must transfer the amount to the bank account.
How to get a prepaid dollar card in Nepal?
To get the prepaid dollar card in Nepal, you need to follow the instructions below:
- Visit the bank where you have an account.
- Fill a form to request for dollar card provided by the bank.
- Submit some details like your PAN number to the bank that confirms the identification (along with a government-issued card) and the permanent bank account of the customer.
- The instant dollar card activates within the same day if you want it without your name print. Whereas if you do want to print your name on the card, it will take few days.
- The service charge for the card is Rs 500 and the charge to load amount is also Rs 500. Altogether Rs 1000 will be charged to take the 500 dollars prepaid card.
- All of the charges and the loaded amount (converted to Nepali currency) will be deducted from your bank account.
Only Nepali banks having NRB’s approval can issue those prepaid cards. Nabil Bank and NMB Bank first started to offer dollar cards to their customers. But almost all banks have followed suit.
You can exchange the convertible foreign currency with Nepali currency deposited in the prepaid card and use it for one year. The provision also enables you to collect foreign currency deposited in the prepaid card from a foreign online transaction.
Check out: Top Digital Payment Platforms in Nepal
International Payment benefits
International payment systems in Nepal using dollar card enables payment across national and international companies, which was already there for the large business. Now the small business and individuals can take this dollar card to promotes digital payment across the territories legally.
Due to the absence of an international payment system, customers were facing problems making international transactions. People in Nepal would ask their families and friends living abroad to make foreign transactions from the foreign card. Such a hassle was limiting Nepali customers to make international purchases.
But with this international payment using the dollar card, Nepalese can now make payments to international companies with their own card online. It reduces the hassle of the payment process for both individuals and organizations.
Similarly, growing small businesses and entrepreneurs will have an opportunity to expand their customer base. They can increase their networks. Likewise, they can purchase efficient tools and services for more innovation. It will support our digital economy.
What are your thoughts on the international payment system being approved in Nepal and the prepaid dollar card limitations? Tell us in the comment section below.
- Daraz Shopping Milestone: 4.70 Lakh Customers Served In A Single Day During 11.11 Sale, 75% Enjoyed Free Delivery
- Spectrlite UK Buys Axiata’s Ncell Shares for $50 Million
- Mero Job App Revamped: Your Next Job Is Just a Few Taps Away
- Axiata to exit from Ncell, puts 80% shares up for sale
- These Xiaomi/Redmi smartphones will get HyperOS update in December
- Samsung revolutionizing upcoming phones with Galaxy AI- A comprehensive AI package
- Google Message Gets Ultra HDR Image Support via RCS Chats