Now, you can apply for your voter list pre-registration online (Matadata Namawali Darta). On July 13th (Ashar 29th), the Election Commission initially launched an online system in three districts of the capital – Kathmandu, Lalitpur, and Bhaktapur for trial with the Voter List Registration system. The system has now expanded to five more districts.
For the first time, the online voter list registration has started beyond Kathmandu. The Election Commission started service in 5 districts – Kavrepalanchok, Chitwan, Kaski, Morang, and Jhapa.
Shaligram Sharma Poudel, Spokesperson, Election Commission says that those who have not yet registered their names with photos can take benefit from the online system. If you are one of those, you can now apply for your voter list online. This requires you to visit the Election Commission’s website and submit your personal details online. As a trial, the service is starting in Kathmandu valley in the first phase.
After that, you have to go to your concerned district election office to take a photo. At the same time, you also need to turn in your thumbprint by taking a print copy. There, you need to submit other necessary documents with the code number mentioned in the online form. The number is issued to you when you apply online.
The election commission launched the online system after drawing criticism for failing to bring a digital system. The public criticized the body after they ended up staying in long queues for their registration at the “Local Election Office”.
At the same time, the body could also make a provision for the citizens who have moved away from their registered constituency to register their new location. The applicants might be able to change the location online without visiting the office saving their time on travel.
Apply for your voter list registration online | An upgrade from the current (BVRS) system
Meanwhile, Chief Commissioner Dinesh Kumar Thapaliya of the election commission said that the online system is an important upgrade from the current system. Till now, the commission registered the voter’s list via Biometric Voters Registration System (BVRS). Mr. Thapaliya expressed that the online system will reduce the commission’s workload by 70% when it comes into operation.
He shared that the system allows keeping personal details via a mobile phone. When one uploads the documents and necessary details, a unique number is issued on the applicant’s mobile phone.
“Based on that number, the concerned election commission office will verify the application’s biometric and authenticate the voter list,” he added. Don’t miss: How to use Fonepay’s QR Scan for payment?
The online system will put an end to the need to visit District Election Office, District Administration Office, and other bodies to register and update the public’s voter list.
Check out: How to apply for a driving license online?
Steps to apply for the pre-registration for the voter list
- First, visit this link https://applyvr.election.gov.np/
- Click on ‘registration’, you will see some instructions. Click on ‘Banda Garnuhos’ to proceed
- Enter your mobile number and click on the arrow next to it
- You will receive a 4-digit OTP code
- If you don’t receive the code, click on the ‘Resend Code’ option as shown below. You will get the code in your SMS.
- When you receive the OPT code, enter it in the fields
- When you enter the OTP code, you will see a new webpage to fill up other details
- On the new page, click on New Registration on the left side
- Now, fill up your personal details and click on ‘submit’. Make sure your details are all correct as per your citizenship record
- You will now receive a unique number for your identification. You need to keep it safe so it is suggested you print a copy of the page for future reference
- Next, you will need to visit your district’s election office with the printed copy (containing the unique number) and necessary documents to update your photo and fingerprint.
- Then, the office will issue you your official voter ID card.
- The only pre-registration is to help you avoid travel and long queues at the election office and reduce the time spent on the process.
How satisfied are you with the Election Commission starting its online system for voter list registration (Matadata Namawali darta)? Do you want the service to launch in your district soon. You can share in the comments below.
- Apple iOS 17.4 beta 4 launched with a vital battery feature
- India finally allows Nepali visitors to get Indian SIM cards
- Government to implement investigation report on Axiata deal
- Samsung Galaxy A15 5G launched in Nepal | Price and Specs
- Bhupendra Bhandari appointed new NTA chairman for 5 years
- Ntc brings Democracy Day offer: For Martyrs family and Regular Users
- Nepal Telecom applies for a new GSM mobile service license