NTA has called interested applicants for the implementation of a free WiFi network in tourist and religious places of Nepal. The regulator uses its internal fund for the WiFi network tender. As Visit Nepal 2020 is around the corner, the NTA WiFi project will help tourists to connect to the internet in those areas.
NTA will select the operator through a competitive bidding process with which the selected one will install, operate and manage the WiFi network with free internet access. NTA also accepts that the internet connectivity in tourist destinations is not reliable and fast. To expand the ICT infrastructure in all tourist places as envisioned by ICT Policy 2015, NTA plans for wide Wifi coverage there.
NTA has selected the historic, cultural, religious, and tourist destinations/places in Nepal for the free WiFi zones. For this, NTA divides all the places into three packages. Package A is for the trekking routes of Annapurna Circuit and Muktinath temple. Whereas Package B is for the WiFi internet connection along the route to Everest base camp. Similarly, Package C includes popular religious destinations like Janaki Temple, Pathivara, Halesi Mahadev, Barah Chettra, Gurudwara, Jame Mosque, and Panch Kashmiri Takiya.
The timeline for the implementation of a WiFi network is known to be six months whereby they should lay optical fiber, install routers, towers, and operate the WiFi network.
Features of the NTA WiFi Project
Some of the features of the WiFI project are:
- The dedicated internet bandwidth in each location shall be from 10 Mbps to 25 Mbps and the cached bandwidth shall range from 50 Mbps to 125 Mbps. The more remote the location, NTA gives relief in the internet bandwidth. The most difficult place of Everest base camp requires 10 Mbps dedicated internet bandwidth and 50 Mbps cached.
- The WiFi AP shall be 2.4 GHz and 5 MHz with seamless exchange/operation after authentication.
- They need to authenticate the user with a One-time password (OTP) sent by SMS to their mobile number and then provide free WiFi access.
- List of Free WiFi in Kathmandu by KMC.
- The free WiFi will last for 15 minutes and the speed will be 1 Mbps. After this, the customer shall purchase different approved packages online.
- The selected operator shall operate, manage and monitor the Wi-Fi network for 5 years.
- The operator shall pay a 4% annual Royalty and 2% as a Remote telecommunication development fund to the Government of Nepal.
- The operator shall have software for the operation and maintenance of the WiFi System.
NTA needs to select the best candidate to provide a WiFi solution in the popular tourist routes and religious locations. We extend our best wishes to NTA for the successful completion of the WiFi project on time.
Please put your comment on the NTA WiFi project targeting Visit Nepal 2020.
- India finally allows Nepali visitors to get Indian SIM cards
- Government to implement investigation report on Axiata deal
- Samsung Galaxy A15 5G launched in Nepal | Price and Specs
- Bhupendra Bhandari appointed new NTA chairman for 5 years
- Ntc brings Democracy Day offer: For Martyrs family and Regular Users
- Nepal Telecom applies for a new GSM mobile service license
- Ultima Rock Bluetooth Speaker: An elite innovation on budget