A group of researchers in China has successfully developed a home-grown Data Processing Unit (DPU) chip. The achievement is touted as a significant milestone in China’s domestic chip industry.
Beijing-based YUSUR Technology Co., Ltd. developed the revolutionary DPU chip.
The researchers are viewing the chip as an essential part of homogeneous computing that has the potential to usher in the future generation of intelligent computing.
The researchers developed the DPU aka ‘K2’ using a 28 nanometers process. It has been called the ‘third main chip’. It suggests that the DPU could be a major innovation upon the previous chips such as the Central Processing Unit (CPU) and the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU).
“Heterogeneous computing based on the combination of DPU, CPU, and GPU has become the mainstream technology of the next-generation intelligent computing centers,” CGTN writes.
Major DPU chip ‘K2’ features
The DPU chip has many advantages, the article says. Low cost, excellent performance, and higher power efficiency are some of its merits. In addition, the ability to achieve ultra-low latency of 1.2 microseconds and support of up to 200G network bandwidth are its other hallmarks.
“The DPU chip will be used in data centers, financial computing, 5G edge computing, and high-performance computing, according to technicians of YUSUR, whose founding members come from a key state laboratory under the Chinese Academy of Sciences” the article highlights.
YUSUR has the backing of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. It is one of the ‘little giants’ in the country. The company specializes in niche sectors and has a high market share, innovative ability, and core technologies.
The DPU chip could be the latest remarkable innovation in chip development. But there is yet to be a third-party review of it.
- Daraz Shopping Milestone: 4.70 Lakh Customers Served In A Single Day During 11.11 Sale, 75% Enjoyed Free Delivery
- Spectrlite UK Buys Axiata’s Ncell Shares for $50 Million
- Mero Job App Revamped: Your Next Job Is Just a Few Taps Away
- Axiata to exit from Ncell, puts 80% shares up for sale
- These Xiaomi/Redmi smartphones will get HyperOS update in December
- Samsung revolutionizing upcoming phones with Galaxy AI- A comprehensive AI package
- Google Message Gets Ultra HDR Image Support via RCS Chats