Screen-Time and Digital wellbeing are a very relative term. Since staying in front of the screen ultimately relate to the concept of humans interacting with technology. This is the kind of experience that should support mental and/or physical health in a measurable way. If not, it can hamper your health in immense ways. So, the digital wellbeing of a person is also as important as minimal usage of Screen-time, which you can check on your mobile phone (Android or iPhone).
Whenever we hear about the term screen time, we generally ignore it. Well if you deny it then you might probably be lying. Because let’s face it, we spend most of our free time watching our favorite YouTube videos, movies, scrolling through our feeds, and much more.
Also, now that we are quarantined with the Covid-19 threat, we are now mostly glued to our smartphones than ever. Except, why not, when now you have all the time in the world to stay home and complete your favorite series that were in hold due to your busy schedule.
But, do you think it is a good idea? and can you be certain that you are in the right verse of a safe screen-time usage? Also, why is this concept under significant research along with being a related concept in digital media use and mental health?
Well, to get answers to these questions, let’s start from the very beginning. So, starting with:
What is Screen-Time and Digital Wellbeing?
Screen time generally refers to the amount of time we spend using a device with a screen. It includes devices such as a smartphone, computer, television, or video game console. More to that, screen time also gives you a specified report about how you have used your device, apps you’ve opened, along with the websites you’ve visited.
Whereas, digital wellbeing is a term defined for the experience we have while interacting with gadgets. The time we interact with digital devices should support mental and/or physical health in a measurable way. So, digital wellbeing generally means supporting our physical and mental wellbeing while using digital media.
Why is it Important to keep ourselves on a verse of safe screen time usage?
- It’s important to spend only the recommended time in front of the screen because spending an excessive amount of time in front of the screen can affect the mental and physical health of a person. Also, the positive or negative health effects due to screen time are influenced by levels and content of exposure. Meaning, the more time you spend on screen, the more it will hamper your digital well being.
- Moreover, it produces strain in the eyes. They can harm the neuron development in humans and result in weak eye-sight, unclear vision, and also anxiety at one point.
- More to that, it might cause some major mental health issues along with serious traumatic physical health issues. So, the minimization of harmful exposure to screen time is very essential. To help with this issue some governments have placed regulations on screen-time usage.
- It can also harm brain development, behavioral impact, and academic performance in children.
- Also, safe Screen-timing is ultimately a practice of digital wellbeing, meaning a healthy lifestyle.
How can you check your Screen-time on an Android phone and iPhone?
Well checking your screen time on your respective gadget is very easy. For Android smartphones, you can check the screen time as below:
- For Android phones, all you have to do is Go to Settings > Battery then tap the 3-dot menu, and go to Battery usage after that tap the 3 dot menu again, and choose show full device usage.
Similarly, you can check the screen time in Apple iPhone as:
- For iPhone, what you have to do is firstly, open up the Settings app and then scroll down to the “Screen Time” section that’s grouped with Notifications, Sounds, and Do Not Disturb and then tap on “Screen Time” to see your usage statistics.
How can you minimize the screen-time consumption as an Adult and Can you control it for kids?
- Well, so the good news is Yes! you can control the screen-timing for your kids by following these steps.
- Firstly, when you create a Google Account for your child using Family Link, you can set screen time limits on their Android device or Chromebook. In this easy way, you can lock your child’s Android device or Chromebook at bedtime, after they’ve used it for a certain amount of time, or when you think they need a break. Also, you can restrict what your children can watch on their screen by going to; Settings >> General, Under General, scroll down, and tap on “Restrictions.” Tap “Enable Restrictions” and enter and confirm a Restrictions Passcode (keep this number safe and keep it a secret).
- But, as an adult, you should be aware of all the harm it can cause you and try to minimize your screen-time by involving yourself in any kind of board game or family bonding also hey! Nothing can ever go wrong with appreciating nature, while it benefits your mental health in several ways.
So, now for the big part, since the scientists have been studying and researching Screen-time.
What is the recommended time-span of screen-usage?
Well, there have been several kinds of research that have been going on in this specific topic and according to WHO’s the recommended screen-time bear similarity to guidelines issued in 2016 by the American Academy of Pediatrics, which recommend for no screen time for children under 18 months, an hour limit for kids between 2 and 5.
Similarly, it suggests that any screen time should be spent “co-watching” with engaged and for children above 5 -12 years old should limit their screen-time to just 1-1.5 hours. The screen time limit for adults ranges from 3-5 hours with just 2 hours recommended. Although, since many people work for 7-11 hours per day it’s hard to gain composure. People have to work by staying in front of the screen, which makes it difficult to follow the green light.
Types of Screen-time Users
Therefore, with that being said, did you know your screen-time can also say a lot about yourself. It does that by detecting which app you use the most. For example, below is the list of three screen time types where each image features a different kind of personnel.
The first image showcases the zoom as the most used device. So, it mainly points toward an office-oriented (work from home or professional) person who uses their screen time for meetings and webinars.
The second image features messenger and Facebook and it demonstrates that the person is social media personnel. This individual is one of those people who enjoy socializing. By socializing I mean through Facebook and messenger. Well, we can just say that they are social- stars.
And, the third person might be a tik-toker. Tik-Tok is now almost everyone’s pride possession, and we can’t blame them since it does entertain us.
But for me, I am a combination of 1st personnel and 3rd personnel, tell us what about your behavior?
Let us know in the comment section down below with your screenshot. I also recommend you to be aware of the screen time for your good health.
Recommended read: Top productive use of the internet for lockdown period >>
- Redmi Note 11 Pro 4G is getting the HyperOS upgrade: Find other rollout plan
- OnePlus 12 Pre-booking starts in Nepal: Find Specs and Price
- Apple iOS 17.4 beta 4 launched with a vital battery feature
- India finally allows Nepali visitors to get Indian SIM cards
- Government to implement investigation report on Axiata deal
- Samsung Galaxy A15 5G launched in Nepal | Price and Specs
- Bhupendra Bhandari appointed new NTA chairman for 5 years