The problem of network coverage is still a big issue in Nepal. Though Network Coverage has been steadily improving, yet many people are not able to get a decent mobile signal. In that situation, the voice call quality is not up to the mark and people keep on complaining. With the VoWiFi service, you do not have to suffer from poor mobile network and voice quality.
The new trend of using WiFi for calling (VoWiFi technology) has been prevalent in foreign countries like the US and even our neighboring Nation India. Popular Telecommunications companies like Reliance Jio and Airtel have started providing the VoWiFi service in India. So, in this article, we will talk about the VoWiFi technology and look at the pros and cons of Technology. Is VoWiFi the solution to the problem of Network Coverage? Let us discuss about the VoWiFi or WiFi Calling technology below:
You Might like to know about the Nepal Telecom fiber internet Price, Speed, How to Install
Table of contents
What is VoWiFi?
VoWiFi stands for Voice over WiFi. To simply define the VoWiFi, it is a technology that uses the IEEE 802.11 (WiFi) connections to enable us to make phone calls, text messages, MMS, etc. rather than cellular data networks. They are pretty much similar to that of the widely used VoLTE network that stands for voice over LTE.
How Does it Work?
If you are familiar with the VoLTE, then it won’t be hard for you to understand the VoWiFi Technology. We know that VoLTE uses a data network to make a voice call providing better quality then circuit lines. But in the case of VoWiFi, it is dependent on internet connections that improve the quality of calling that allows a more optimized packet transfer compared to other calling apps. Don’t mistake it with other calling apps like Skype, Whatsapp, etc. that use ‘Voice over Internet Protocol’ or ‘VoIP’ Technology.
Basically, Technology is dependent on the WiFi connection and your network provider. Your network provider must have the VoWiFi technology, and you also must have a device that supports VoWiFi.
Read all the details about Toll-free number in Nepal.
Advantages Of VoWiFi
It has many advantages :
- The most crucial benefit of voice calling has to be a decrease in dependency on the mobile data network.
- One will be able to make the phone call even if they are not online.
- It improves the voice quality significantly in the area where there’s a weak cellular data network.
- It saves a lot of costs as it uses an already existing internet connection paid by the customer for the voice calls.
- People will be able to use their existing phone numbers, so no additional setup is necessary.
- You can extend the battery life of the phone.
- You won’t need to download any other application for using this feature.
- It helps the Service Providers to reduce the burden on their mobile Network (Cellular towers) and provide a seamless and smooth calling experience to Customers.
- It does not use a lot of bandwidth, as it is just for voice calls, text messages.
Also, know about the 3G and 4G networks which are the best option for you?
Disadvantages Of VoWiFi
It has many benefits like mentioned above, but along with them, it also has some inherent drawbacks listed below :
- The foremost drawback has to be the lack of WiFi signals when the WiFi networks are overloaded with the data traffics at places like airports, hospitals, hotels, etc. then the WiFi connections lag, and the performance depletes.
- As WiFi connections become unstable, the voice calls also become weaker, and the quality of the call drops drastically.
- The device you currently use, might not have the WiFi calling features on it.
- WiFi is an unlicensed frequency; hence it is subject to the many interference sources. Read how to improve internet speed at your home.
- It has a significant maintenance problem as the network operators are not responsible for maintaining the WiFi networks as users are responsible for it.
Is VoWiFi Available in Nepal?
Right now, the VoWiFi feature is under testing in Nepal with Nepal Telecom. As known, Nepal Telecom has planned to launch the Wifi calling service in Nepal, as soon as they are successful with testing. After which, you can use voice service over any Wifi networks at a local call rate. Some of the VoWifi Supporting handsets are already able to use the servive in Nepal Telecom. We can easily guess that Ncell will also be coming with this technology to give fierce competition to Nepal Telecom.
Some of the Smartphones Supporting VoWiFi Technology
Smartphones are not the issue for the use of VoWiFi as almost all the smartphones that have VoLTE come equipped with the VoWiFi feature. Your network operator should facilitate you with this feature. Then again, what is the harm in knowing phones with VoWiFi support? The major brand’s smartphones as Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi, Realme, Oppo, etc have support for VoWiFi Technology. But they need to provide special software (customized for the local service provider) to be able to use the wifi calling service in Nepal. Till now, All the latest Xiaomi phones support Nepal Telecom’s VoWifi service.
VoWiFi is a very attractive technology that helps us to diminish our dependence on the cellular data network. It also provides a higher quality service compared to the data network at a very less cost. But it still is not a stable technology that is ready to replace the cellular data network right now.
In Nepal, there are still many places where there are no WiFi hotspots, and VoWiFi Technology uses internet connections to provide services. Even if it is available, as WiFi is an unlicensed bandwidth, it will face various interference, and huge sharing decreases the quality of phone calls.
As telecom operators can bring this technology to use WiFi hotspots for calling, it will be the next big thing in the future. Then, we may always prefer to call over WiFi when we reside at home or any place with a good WiFi connection.
We expect the technology to be made available in Nepal as soon as possible as it will help us solve the problem of poor network coverage. It will also be very affordable for the common people and they will be able to enjoy better quality calling.
VoLTE technology has flourished in the country with the aggressive expansion of the 4G network. VoLTE is very similar to VoWiFi and it provides better quality call service, has a faster connection, and increases battery life. So, people have started to adopt VoLTE whereas VoWiFI is something made for us in the coming days.
So, what do you think about VoWiFi technology? Please let us know your insights about the Voice over WiFi service in the comment section below.
Have a look at this article to know whether an ADSL or FTTH internet connection is best for you?
- India finally allows Nepali visitors to get Indian SIM cards
- Government to implement investigation report on Axiata deal
- Samsung Galaxy A15 5G launched in Nepal | Price and Specs
- Bhupendra Bhandari appointed new NTA chairman for 5 years
- Ntc brings Democracy Day offer: For Martyrs family and Regular Users
- Nepal Telecom applies for a new GSM mobile service license
- Ultima Rock Bluetooth Speaker: An elite innovation on budget