Have you ever come across a situation where your SIM card is damaged/broken, lost, or stolen? If yes, then how did you replace the previously used SIM card? If no, then have you ever given a thought about the process to get a new SIM card as a replacement of the old SIM card if you end up in such circumstances? In today’s article, we have collected everything that you would want to know about getting a new SIM card with the same mobile number as your old one.
Why do people need to replace a SIM card?
First of all, there are various reasons why people need to get a new SIM for replacement of the old one. Some of the reasons for the SIM replacement are mentioned below:
- If the SIM physically damages like: scratching, bending caused due to the mishandling of the SIM or broken while changing the SIM size, it affects its internal circuit board.
- If certain conditions like dust particles collect or short circuits happen on the phone, the SIM does not function properly. To check if the issue is on your phone or SIM, try checking another SIM on the same phone. If both the SIMs do not work, then its an issue with the handset otherwise it’s just a SIM affected by dust or short circuit.
- Sometimes, frequent entering of the wrong PIN/PUK code can cause the SIM card to be blocked.
- Lastly, SIM cards can get worn out or lost and stolen. Sim may be lost, stolen together with the phone, find the method to report, track lost/stolen phone.
How to check if your SIM is not working properly?
You can also find out that your SIM card is not functioning properly or it is time to replace it when you notice the following changes:
- Your phone asks for the PIN code even without a reboot.
- Your voice calls and messages are not as smooth as before and get interrupted frequently.
- SIM not available issue appears time and again.
- You can find issues like your Airplane mode turning on suddenly at times.
- If the SIM card does not show any names of the contact but shows the phone numbers.
- If the phone no longer recognizes the SIM card inside and shows notifications like “Insert SIM”, “SIM rejected”, “Invalid SIM” or, “SIM error”.
So, if you find your phone is in such conditions, it is high time you consider switching to a newer SIM card. Most people opt for an easier solution for their lost or damaged SIM cards issue. That means they get a new number but it is not necessary.
You can take the old number or new number if the SIM card is lost?
However, even though, getting a new SIM card with a new number is really convenient, it comes with its own drawbacks. You will have to inform all your contacts to update your new contact number. But it will be problematic if you keep on changing mobile number every time, as NTA has this provision with limitation to own more than two SIM cards. If you are someone who keeps getting important calls from some business companies, organizations, it will be difficult for them to reach you in some urgent situations. Lastly, you have to give yourself some time to adjust to your new number.
Therefore, the smart option is to purchase a new SIM card for your previous mobile number. You can also activate 4G service if you get a new SIM card. Most of the telcos provide the SIM replacement for free if you are to upgrade your SIM to 4G, if the 4G service is unavailable in the old SIM cards. The process of SIM replacement differs according to your mobile service provider: NTC, NCELL, and SMART. Let’s find the process to replace your old SIM card in Ntc, Ncell, and Smart Cell.
NTC SIM card replacement
To get an NTC SIM card replacement, follow the following process below.
- First, you have to visit your nearest Nepal Telecom customer service center which is Nepal Telecom’s own office at different parts of the country.
- Present your queries and reasons for your SIM replacement.
- They will then provide you with a form to register your identification.
- The form inquires for your personal information like name, mobile number, date, and signature. Also, you need to mention the reason for the SIM purchase in the form.
- You need to submit the form along with photocopies of your citizenship under which the SIM was previously registered. Find how to check the SIM registered name.
- You have to pay a charge of only Rs. 50 and you will get your new SIM card immediately.
To activate the 4G service, first of all, open your phone’s dialer and dial *444#. You will see a number of prompts displayed on your screen and among those, enter 1 and press the “Send” button. Read here for how to Subscribe 4G in Ntc, Ncell, and Smart Cell.
NCELL SIM card replacement
If you have lost your SIM card, you need to first block your SIM card by dialing 9005 to call the service center.
Now, if you want to take a new replacement SIM for your old Ncell number, then you have to follow the following steps.
- First, you need to visit the Nearest Ncell center; Ncell shops, or Ncell POS shops across the country.
- They will provide you a form to fill out for the SIM replacement.
- The form contains similar information and asks you about your name, phone number, signature, date, and the reason for your SIM purchase.
- You will then have to submit one photocopy of your citizenship, license, or passport for your identification.
- Original citizenship should be submitted and the customer themselves have to be present during the time of buying SIM.
- The cost for the SIM replacement is Rs.99 per SIM card.
If your SIM card is registered on your company, you need to submit an application on your company’s letterhead with signature and seal. You can also find an online application for the replacement of the SIM card and download it and submit it with your signature on it.
SMART Cell SIM card replacement
To get a SIM card retaining your previous number in Smart Cell, you need to follow the following process.
- First, you will have to visit the nearest SMART Customer Service Store.
- Then you need to submit their valid documents and your passport size photographs.
- Then, you can acquire a new SMART SIM that has the same number as your previous one.
- You need to pay Rs 100 for the replacement SIM in Smart Cell.
Therefore, with the help of the above-mentioned process, you can get your SIM card replaced and your phone number retained. However, the contacts of the SIM won’t be transferred. So, it is always a better idea to save all of your contacts on your phone or sync to any cloud account like Google so that they won’t be lost if there are any problems with your SIM card.
Suggested Read: NTA revises the SIM reissue period to 1 year.
Whenever your SIM card is lost or damaged, you can easily get a new one with your original number without worrying about the replacement process. It is easier, more convenient, and cheaper.
If you have any problem with SIM replacement in Ntc, Ncell, and Smart with the above process, please put your comment below.
- US telco AT&T restores network after huge nationwide outage
- Nepal Telecom to provide free WiFi at airports across Nepal
- Xiaomi 14 Ultra Launched: Expected Price in Nepal and Specs
- Redmi Note 11 Pro 4G is getting the HyperOS upgrade: Find other rollout plan
- OnePlus 12 Pre-booking starts in Nepal: Find Specs and Price
- Apple iOS 17.4 beta 4 launched with a vital battery feature
- India finally allows Nepali visitors to get Indian SIM cards